curried cauliflower chickpea wraps

Spicy curried cauliflower chickpea wraps are filled to the brim with good-for-you ingredients and make great make-ahead meals.

I have three superhero powers.

The first, and I’ve yet to figure out how this is useful, is my uncanny ability to wear nail polish. I mean, sure, most people can put nail polish on, but how long does it stay looking perfect? Check mine a full week later, and in spite of the fact that I’ve been cooking up a storm, have washed approximately one million dishes, and have been swimming half a dozen times, it’s still pristine. Riiiight? Power!

The second, and this one is marginally more useful, is my ability to deliver a highly emotional speech in front of a crowd. Writing the speech, I’ll be sobbing. Practicing the speech, I’m a bloody mess. But put a microphone in my hand and put me in a room full of people and I’m a dang robot.

The third, and this one is serious, is my ability to wrap a burrito like nobody’s business.

creamy cauliflower pasta bake // themuffinmyth.com

Although I’m certain that none of these three superpowers serve humanity in any way, and were I stranded on a desert island no body would be impressed with my chip-less nails, speech-giving, or burrito rolling skills, wrap rolling definitely comes in handy for make-ahead meals.

I’ve been working on these curried cauliflower chickpea wraps for a while now, and I’m pleased to say that they’re pretty much perfect. They’re kind of like burrito meets samosa, but we’ve replaced the potato that’s typically in a samosa with smashed cauliflower for a wrap that’s way less of a carb-on-carb situation.

Like most of my wraps, these can be made in advance and tossed in the freezer. That’s where 4/6 of these wraps are right now. To pack them for lunch you simply pull a wrap out of the freezer the night before (or morning of) and when lunch time rolls around you can either eat it at room temp, or remove the foil and give it a quick zap in the office microwave. I’ve served these with a delish garlic yoghurt sauce, which is great for dipping. For packed lunches you can either tuck a small container of the sauce alongside your wrap, or, if you’re freezing the wraps, begin each wrap with a slick of the sauce on the tortilla before the cauliflower filling goes down.

The curried cauliflower chickpea filling is 100% vegan and gluten free. If you want to keep your wraps totally vegan, skip the garlic yoghurt sauce I’ve served them with, or replace the yoghurt with a vegan alternative like cashew cream. If you’re gluten free, see if you can get your hands on some nice big gluten free wraps, and you’re in business.

curried cauliflower chickpea wraps - a great make-ahead lunch! // themuffinmyth.comMM_Know_Icon_FINALCauliflower is a cruciferous vegetable, in the same family as broccoli, kale, and cabbage, with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory health benefits. Cauliflower is an excellent source of vitamin C, vitamin K, and folate. It is a great source of vitamin B5, potassium, dietary fiber, and a good source of protein, phosphorus, magnesium, vitamins B1-3, and iron.

Chickpeas, aka garbanzo beans, are a super food! They contain about 12.5 grams of fiber per cup, which is 50% of the recommended daily intake of dietary fiber.  About two-thirds of the fiber in garbanzos is insoluble, which is great for digestive health, particularly in the colon. The remaining third is soluble fiber, which can help lower our LDL-cholesterol, total cholesterol, and triglycerides; important for cardiovascular health. The protein-fiber combination in chickpeas is key for stabilizing blood sugar levels, as both protein and fiber move through our digestive systems at a moderate pace. This protein-fiber combination is also beneficial for improving our sense of satiety, which can help prevent over eating. Chickpeas are notable for antioxidant nutrients like vitamin C, vitamin E, and beta-carotene, but also contain concentrated supplies of antioxidant phytonutrients such as flavonoids and polyphenols.  Chickpeas also contain valuable amounts of polyunsaturated fatty acids, including alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), the body’s omega-3 fatty acid from which all other omega-3 fats are made. Chickpeas for the win!

curried cauliflower chickpea wraps - a great make-ahead lunch! // themuffinmyth.comOne year ago: Grapefruit and Fennel Salad (so much yum!)
Three years ago: Green Pea Pesto Ravioli
Four years ago: Brown Rice Broccoli Tart

5.0 from 8 reviews
curried cauliflower chickpea wraps

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Author:
Recipe type: vegan, make-ahead, lunch
Serves: 6
Ingredients
  • 1 medium head of cauliflower (about 900g / 2lbs once trimmed)
  • 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 medium yellow onion, diced
  • 1 Tbsp finely minced or grated ginger
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 Tbsp garam masala
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 2 x 400g can chickpeas (or 3 cups cooked chickpeas), drained and rinsed well
  • ½ cup finely chopped cilantro leaves and stems
  • 6 large whole wheat tortillas
  • 1 cup full-fat plain yoghurt
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed
  • salt and pepper
Instructions
  1. Start with breaking down the cauliflower into large chunks.
  2. Place cauliflower chunks into a pot, cover with water, add a pinch of salt, and bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and simmer until cauliflower is tender (but not mushy!) about 15-20 minutes.
  3. Drain the cauliflower, and using a potato masher, mash it roughly. There should still be some chunks, but mostly mashed. Set this aside to cool a bit.
  4. While the cauliflower is boiling, set a large pot over medium-high heat. This is the pot in which you'll mix everything together in the end, so make sure it's large enough!
  5. Add the olive oil to the pot to heat, then add the onions and sauté for 5-7 minutes, until they're just beginning to brown.
  6. Add the ginger and sauté for a minute more.
  7. Reduce the heat to medium, and then add the salt, garam masala, and cayenne, and sauté for one minute.
  8. Add the mashed cauliflower, chickpeas, and cilantro and stir well, cooking for 3-5 minutes more.
  9. Remove from heat, and let cool slightly.
  10. To make the garlic yoghurt sauce (if using) whisk together plain yoghurt, crushed garlic, and add salt and pepper to taste.
  11. Spoon about ⅙th of the filling into the center of each tortilla. Fold one side over towards the center, fold the edges in, and roll up like a burrito.
  12. Serve with garlic yoghurt sauce if desired.
Notes
-For totally vegan wraps, either leave out the garlic yoghurt sauce or replace the yoghurt with cashew cream or another vegan alternative.
-If you're making these for make-ahead lunches, either pack with a small container of sauce for dipping, or, when you're making the wraps start with a slick of yoghurt sauce on each tortilla before you add the cauliflower filling.
-These wraps freeze well. Simply cool to room temperature, wrap in foil, and toss in the freezer for a busier day.

Comments

These look outrageously good! I want one now!

Those are definitely super woman feats Katie! Especially the speech giving one. I’ve been asked to speak at an event this summer and I’m already in a panic. What’s your secret?

No secret, unfortunately, it’s just something I do. I spent many years teaching and am super comfortable speaking in front of a crowd, so I guess I’m just used to it. And yes, these wraps are outrageously good! So looking forward to my lunch today!

Wow! Your three superpowers are the three things I am the worst at! I don’t think I’ve ever even posted a photo of a burrito in it’s wrapped up form, because any attempt I make at that will be hideous. These look perfect though, and they sound delicious. I’m all about swapping out carbs with cauliflower these days – especially when it’s all gonna get wrapped up in more carbs.

I think you’re on to something with photographing them in their unwrapped form, wraps and burritos are sooooo hard to make look good! But this filling isn’t particularly photogenic, so wrapped up was the way to go. And yes to replacing carbs with cauli! It’s the perfect way!

These wraps sound fantastic! I especially like the idea of stashing them in the freezer for future lunches. And also, my secret superpower is the ability to make delicious soup out of, say, water and a potato. 🙂 Super powers for all!

Ooooh, that’s a great superpower! Yes, wraps stashed in the freezer are a lifesaver, especially during a particularly busy week, or if you’re coming back from a trip and need a packed lunch right away.

These perfect wraps definitely put any wrap i have made before to shame.. I cannot wrap to save my life, they always fall apart! I must try out your recipe here – they are ideal for me to make for lunch tomorrow.

Wrapping definitely takes some practice, but you’ll get it! It especially helps if the filling is a bit on the sticky side, as it helps the whole thing stay together. Let me know if you try these out, I think you’ll like them!

5. Nancy Lestz says

do you have nutritional data on these? They look wonderful, but we have some medical issues we need to address.

Hi Nancy, do you mean calorie counts, etc? I don’t provide that kind of information in my posts because I don’t like to encourage calorie counting, but for those who need or want that sort of info, there are wonderful online recipe calculators. Try my fitness pal or sparkpeople.

I am the worst, when it comes to nail polish, public speech or rolling a burrito. My nail polish is usually cracked even before I finished painting all my nails, I get super anxious whenever I have to make a speech, and I am just not able to make a wraps/burrito/spring roll/tortilla without everything falling out. Please teach me! Seriously 🙂
    This recipe sounds absolutely wonderful, I love the spices! I’ve never thought of adding cauliflower to my wraps, must be amazing!

There are some pretty good burrito rolling tutorials online, and it just takes practice! The nail polish and speech giving I have no idea how I do, so can’t help you there. I hope you love these wraps as much as I do!

7. Lindsay says

I made this tonight (only change was I added in some kale, im super anal about always getting my greens!)—- Great flavors (the ginger is delicious), great recipe, loved it

8. Isabelle says

My husband has a potluck lunch tomorrow at work and I had to find a recipe. I stumbled upon this one and decided to make a double batch of it. I also made a garlic cashew cream. Like you suggested, I first drizzled the cream in the wrap and then put the stuffing in it. Holy is that ever good!!! Amazing flavors coming thru and blend perfectly with the cashew cream. I am sure his omni coworkers will never ask if it is vegan and they will devour those wraps! Thank you for the recipe!

So glad you liked them, Isabelle! And I’m glad the garlic cashew cream worked out. I sure hope your husband’s coworkers like them as much as we do! I’ve got the last of my batch for my lunch today, and I’ll definitely be making more this weekend. Love these wraps!

9. Michael says

I tried them last week – very tasty! Only problem I had was with the tortillas, I think mine were a little smaller so I wound up having 8 servings instead of 6, and my lack of rolling skills led to some loose ends. My solution for the next batch = pita pockets

10. Sheila says

I made these for dinner last night. So simple, with outstanding flavor! I loved using the cilantro and garam masala. My husband, who hates cauliflower, ate two.

11. Alexandra says

AMAZING!!!
    I made these and couldn’t stop licking the pan I put them in. Very flavorful. And I love putting in the time investment to have lunches for a whole week. I give these five stars! Can’t wait to try another recipe of yours 🙂

Thanks Alexandra! I’m so glad you like them so much. They’re so packed with flavour and good nutrition, definitely one of my favourite make-ahead meals.

I made these wraps for lunches this week. When my husband tried one, he said “Oh my god, these wraps are amazing. Best lunch ever!” I agree with him!! The garlic yogurt sauce is absolutely delicious with the cauliflower chickpea filling, and the heat level is absolutely perfect. Thank you for sharing this recipe! We will definitely be making these again!!

13. Katie says

WOW these are delicious!! I halved the spice and mine is still pretty hot – but oh my. What a hit. I have yet put it in a tortilla or added the yogurt mixture as they are fantastic alone. Thank you!

14. Maryam says

Amazing!!! I doubled the masalas and used tandoori chicken masala instead of cayenne peppers. But these wraps are amazing!

Trackbacks

1. […] 7. Curried Cauliflower Chickpea Wrap The combination of cauliflower and chickpeas make this vegetarian and gluten-free wrap a satisfying lunch or dinner option. When you’re ready to enjoy, defrost one overnight and serve at room temperature — or give it a quick zap in the microwave. Skip the yogurt sauce to make this recipe vegan, too. Photo and recipe: Katie Trant / The Muffin Myth […]

2. […] 7. Curried Cauliflower Chickpea Wrap The combination of cauliflower and chickpeas make this vegetarian and gluten-free wrap a satisfying lunch or dinner option. When you’re ready to enjoy, defrost one overnight and serve at room temperature — or give it a quick zap in the microwave. Skip the yogurt sauce to make this recipe vegan, too. Photo and recipe: Katie Trant / The Muffin Myth […]