make and freeze breakfast bars

make and freeze breakfast bars {vegan and gluten free} // themuffinmyth.com

I learned something shocking recently.

Not everyone loves overnight oats as much as I do. I know. It’s crazy, right? For one thing, the texture, which I find magically creamy and delicious, is not for everyone. Also, being the winter and all, not everyone is into the idea of a cold breakfast. And perhaps most importantly, I think that my definition of ‘portable’ and ‘on the go’ meals is a bit broader than most.

make and freeze breakfast bars {vegan and gluten free} // themuffinmyth.com

But there’s hope for you non-lovers of overnight oats who are still looking for a quick, easy, ready-made and on-the-go breakfast. And today hope comes in the form of a delicious and nutritious make-and-freeze breakfast bar.

MM_Freeze_FINAL2

<– This means these bars are freezer friendly. Neat, eh?

These bars are pretty much the easiest things. It’s basically a bunch of stuff mashed up and stirred together, then pressed into a pan and baked. The bars get cooled, sliced, and then stored in the freezer where they’ll last for a couple of months.

These bars have:

• Oats –> fiber, protein, complex carbohydrate
  • Red lentils –> fiber, protein, complex carbohydrate
  • Coconut –> healthy fat
  • Hemp seeds –> healthy fat, protein
  • Chia seeds –> healthy fat, protein, omega-3’s
  • Bananas –> carbohydrate, potassium, natural sweetness
  • Coconut oil –> healthy fat

make and freeze breakfast bars {vegan and gluten free} // themuffinmyth.com

Woah, so much goodness! That combo of healthy fats, protein, and complex carbohydrate means that these bars will fill you up and keep you satiated for a good while.

But we should probably talk about the fact that there are lentils in these bars. The most important thing to know about the lentil <–> bar situation is how much amazing protein and fiber the lentils bring to the table. The second most important thing to know is that you can’t taste the lentils. And if you’re weirded out by the idea of seeing the lentils, there are ways to hide them (see the recipe footnotes for that info).

So if you’re looking for a make-and-freeze solution to breakfasts on the go for your busy life, schedule these into your weekend batch cooking. They’re also great for pre and post workout snacks, and can sustain a day or two of being bashed around in your backpack. Perfect, right?

MM_Know_Icon_FINALOats are rich in indigestible carbohydrates called beta-glutens which help to lower blood cholesterol levels. Oats are also host to a number of phenolic compounds which have antioxidant properties. Due to the high levels of those beta-glucans, oats are also helpful in stabilizing blood sugar. In fact, eating oats in the morning may help keep your blood sugar stable throughout the entire day. Oats are also a good source of dietary fiber and protein. Look for gluten-free oats if you’re celiac or have another gluten sensitivity. Lentils are a nutritional powerhouse. They are a great source of dietary fiber,manganese, iron, and protein.

make and freeze breakfast bars {vegan and gluten free} // themuffinmyth.com

make and freeze breakfast bars

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

These make and freeze breakfast bars are perfect for breakfast on the go. They're naturally sweetened, vegan, and easily made gluten free.
Author:
Recipe type: Breakfast
Serves: 12
Ingredients
  • ¾ cup oat flour
  • ½ cup split red lentils
  • ½ cup rolled oats
  • ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
  • ½ cup hemp hearts
  • 1½ Tbsp chia seeds
  • ½ tsp cinnamon
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ½ cup dried blueberries
  • 3 very ripe bananas, mashed (about 1½ cups)
  • ½ cup almond milk
  • ¼ cup melted coconut oil
  • 1 Tbsp maple syrup
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Instructions
  1. Preheat your oven to 350°F / 180°C
  2. Line a 9x11 pan with parchment paper.
  3. In a large bowl mix together oat flour, lentils, rolled oats, coconut, hemp hearts, chia seeds, cinnamon, salt, and blueberries.
  4. In a smaller bowl, whisk together mashed banana, almond milk, coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla.
  5. Add the wet mixture to the dry, and stir to combine well.
  6. Press the mixture into the prepared baking pan, and use a spatula or wet hands to spread into a smooth layer.
  7. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the edges are golden.
  8. Remove from the oven and let cool completely in the pan. Slice into 12 bars, and place in a freezer bag separated by squares of parchment paper.
Notes
-If you don't have oat flour you can make some by blitzing ¾ cup rolled oats in a food processor or blender.
-If you want to hide the lentils, cook the lentils first. Drain and mash them, then whisk them in with the banana. In this case, do not use the almond milk or your bars will be too wet.

make and freeze breakfast bars {vegan and gluten free} // themuffinmyth.com

Comments

So genius! Love the red lentil idea, and freezing is a great solution to spoilage. We’ve never really gotten into making our own bars because there’s so much sweetener in most recipes and my husband won’t actually take anything that isn’t pre-wrapped out of the house (sigh).

And yes, not a fan of overnight oats here. They strike me as food for invalids or the cooking-impaired.

I do love overnight oats, but I get how some people find the texture unappealing. But these bars tick all the boxes – not too sweet, handy and portable, and full of good stuff. I hope you try them!

2. Jackie says

Hi Katie! These look really great! What do you think of the digestibility of raw legumes such as lentils? Do you believe in the idea that they should be soaked or fermented to increase nutrient absorption and digestibility? Thanks 🙂

Hi Jackie! I think that soaking & cooking definitely increases the digestibility, but these lentils do get cooked in the bars. There’s enough liquid that they soak it up while baking and become quite soft.

• Jackie says

Hi Katie! I finally had the chance to make these and I think they are really good! Thanks for the recipe! I’m going to stash a bunch in the freezer for when our baby is born in July. They will make a great middle-of-the-night feeding snack 🙂

I love snacky bar type things, especially when they’ve got a bit of protein, but I’ve never been big on protein powders. Using lentils is brilliant! I will definitely give these a try.

4. Tara says

This looks so great! Just to confirm, there’s no need to pre-cook the lentils? I adore lentils and have no problem seeing them but just want to make sure I understand the recipe properly 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

Intrigued by the idea of the lentils in here + what a great idea to get some extra nutrients in there. I generally tend to be pretty rubbish at breakfast so these bars sound like an excellent solution to that.

These are a really great breakfast. Between the lentils and the hemp seeds there’s loads of protein, so such a great and healthy way to have a quick and easy breakfast on the go.

6. Susan says

I would love to make these today however I do not have Hemp Hearts. Can you suggest something I could substitute?
    Thanks!

Hi Susan, you could replace the hemp hearts with some other kind of seeds or finely chopped nuts. Walnuts could work well if they’re chopped very small, around the same size as hemp hearts.

7. Cammy says

Would plain old cows milk work in lieu of almond milk?
    These are great as I can send them to school with the kiddos as they are wholesome and don’t have nuts in them.

8. Breanna says

I LOVE me some overnight oats and eat it quite frequently, but I may just have to take a break so I can try these breakfast bars. They look so delicious and I love the idea of the red lentils. I’ll give these a go this coming week! Thank you!

I also love overnight oats, but sometimes it’s nice to have something quick and easy in the freezer that you don’t even need to think about. Give them a try and let me know what you think!

I’ve not tried the recipe without the coconut oil, so I can’t say how they would turn out without it. If I was going to try leaving it out I might add a bit of extra banana or apple sauce in it’s place. If you try this please let us know what you did and how it turns out!

I usually just pull them out of the freezer and toss one into my lunch bag, and by the time I go to eat it it’s defrosted! But you could also pop them for a quick turn in the microwave, or pull them out of the freezer the night before you’ll want one. They don’t take long to defrost on their own, though!

If you can’t mix fruit with lentils then I’d leave the lentils out and increase the oats to replace them. You’ll also want to leave out the almond milk, in that case, as it’s the lentils that really soaks it up. Good luck!

I put beans in my smoothies too! So much better than protein powder. Usually I use black beans in a chocolate smoothie, but I’ll toss in white beans or chickpeas from time to time as well. Legumes rule! I hope you give these bars a try soon as well, they’re so great stashed away in the freezer 🙂

9. DC says

Your breakfast bars are exactly what I’m looking for. I plan to take them on a 5 day canoe trip. Do the bars have to be kept frozen? Can I keep them in a cooler for about 5 days (ice in cooler will last 5 days) ?

Trackbacks