carrot apple ginger smoothie

carrot apple ginger smoothie // the muffin myth

A couple of weeks ago I got slammed with that gnarley autumn cold that’s been going around. Not fun. Not fun at all.

My usual protocol is to try and smoke it out with quick and easy spicy soups like my 5 minute feel better miso vegetable soup, or my veggie soup in a jar. One day a friend brought me some fresh juice, which was gingery and not too sweet and delicious. Although I’m not much of a juice drinker this one stuck with me so I thought I’d try to recreate it at home.

carrot apple ginger smoothie // the muffin myth

Except I don’t have a juicer. And I don’t want a juicer.

Although I enjoy the occasional juice, when it comes to smoothies and juice I’m firmly entrenched with team smoothie ’cause fiber is awesome. But the good news in this case is that you can put basically all of the same ingredients into a smoothie. And so, I did.

I don’t have a Vitamix or other high speed blender, but my blender (a Kitchen Aid) is a beast and so far hasn’t had a problem with anything I’ve thrown it it. A couple of carrots, a whole apple, and a good dose of ginger form the base here. Because we’re taking a trip to smoothie town I thought I’d throw in some hemp seeds for protein, healthy fats, and to give the smoothie a creamy texture. A pinch of cinnamon makes the whole thing taste a bit like carrot cake. Yum.

carrot apple ginger smoothie // the muffin myth

If you’re not sure your blender can handle whole this, you can simply grate the carrots and apple on a box grater before putting them in the blender. An extra step, but one that will be worth it if you don’t have the power for a smooth puree in your blender. I use cold water and a bit of lemon juice as the liquid base and I think it’s best that way, but if you prefer you can use any non-dairy milk. There are gorgeous apples in season right now, so blend yourself up an immune-boosting gingery drink.

MM_Web_Icon_FINALGet into ginger! Ginger is a concentrated source of active ingredients, and you don’t need to consume very much to reap all of the great benefits. Ginger can be very effective in alleviating symptoms of gastrointestinal distress. It can both help with the elimination of gas, but also helps to relax and sooth the intestinal tract. It has antioxidant effects, can inhibit inflammatory compounds, and can also have direct anti-inflammatory effects. Ginger is very effective in preventing the symptoms of motion sickness, and has been found to be safe and effective in the treatment of morning sickness during pregnancy. Ginger extracts have also been shown to have anti-tumor effects on cells. Gingerols, the main active components in ginger, powerful antioxidants, and the compounds responsible for its distinctive flavour, may also inhibit the growth of human colorectal cancer cells. In addition to it’s immune boosting powers, ginger can help promote healthy sweating, which can be helpful during colds and flus. Go ginger!

carrot apple ginger smoothie // the muffin mythOne year ago: Some Ways With Kale
Two years ago: Chocolate Date Truffles
Three years ago: Baked Zucchini Fries
Four years ago: Smoked Tofu Gyoza

4.0 from 4 reviews
carrot apple ginger smoothie
Prep time
Total time
If you don't have a high speed blender, start by grating the carrots and apples for a smoother smoothie. Use a little more or less water depending on how thick you like your smoothie - the natural pectins in the apple with thicken it quite a bit, so you may find you need to add more water once you start drinking.
Serves: 1
  • 2 carrots, scrubbed and peeled if desired, cut into chunks
  • 1 apple, cored and sliced into quarters
  • 1 chunk of fresh ginger about the size of your thumb, peeled
  • 1 lemon, juiced
  • 2 Tbsp hemp seeds
  • ½ tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 - 1½ cups cold water
  1. Place all ingredients into the jar of a blender with one cup water.
  2. Blend on high speed until smooth.
  3. Add more water to thin smoothie if desired.
  4. Serve immediately.

It is a beast indeed. I’m sometimes envious of the power behind a Vitamix (or similar) but mine was a birthday gift from the husband and he was so proud of it I didn’t have the heart to tell him it wasn’t exactly what I wanted. But, I’ve been pleasantly surprised at what it can handle. Like I said, grating the apple and carrots is an option too if your blender isn’t a beast!

Wow, go ginger indeed! Fortunately it tastes good too, I enjoy the warmth it fuels in the cooler weather. My mum makes a tonic with whole spices, millet flour, jaggery and ginger to fight a cold but I’m not so much a fan of millet flour. I will be trying your portable and sunny coloured juice out, particularly as I like the balance with a carrot and apple- lovely pairing x

Millet flour in a drink? I’m not sure I’d be fond of that either. I’ve used it in baking before, but it isn’t something I rushed back to. And yes, isn’t ginger lovely? It’s always nice to find something that’s nutritious AND delicious!

I start most mornings with a smoothie as well. Usually a green one, but it’s nice to mix things up from time to time, and yes, that carrot-apple-ginger combo is just so good!

I had never thought of adding carrots to a smoothie (I’m team smoothie too!) I am so excited at the idea of recreating some of my favourite juices in smoothie form. This one in particular is sure to send any seasonal colds I am bound to pick up packing!

YES, PUH-lease!!! I absolutely love ginger smoothies, and the apple/carrot combo is such a winning favorite. This is definitely the perfect cold remedy – I’m amazed at how well food can heal the mind, body and soul! Now I’m inspired to do some preventative maintenance and ward off any looming colds with this smoothie! xo

You’re right, food is amazing for it’s ability to heal. We lost sight of that for a while, but it’s good that we’re shifting back to that perspective. Ginger for the win!

You visited my blog this morning and then I saw this recipe when I was going through the Tastespotting submission queue, I thought it looked familiar! he he … It’s up on the front page now 🙂

Oh wow, are you tasked with the arduous job of going through the submission queue? You must look at so many photos! Thanks for letting me know the photo is up 🙂

Hey, this smoothie looks a zillion times better than the juice version! Definitely would be a great way to get the blood flowing on these cold winter mornings 🙂

6. sera says

Just tried this smoothie and found it to be incredibly sour from the lemon. I cant taste anything but lemon. I tried adding in yogurt and honey but now I can only taste honey and lemon. Not a fan. P.S Didnt add in the flax seeds , dont know if that makes a difference?

7. Isra says

Just tried this and the proportions make a LOT more than one serving, this made around 6 glasses. I accidentally added too much ginger so it just had a really bad taste. Couldn’t even taste the cinnamon. I suggest cutting down the ingredients by at least two and adding lots of water to be able to get it down. Unfortunately, this was one of those things that are super healthy but just won’t taste good enough to get you to put down something as good as fries. for example. So if you’re looking to make healthy recipes that taste good like I was, this isn’t one to try.