what’s good around the web!

fun in rome // the muffin myth

Another shot from our weekend in Rome. I have no idea what’s going on in this sign, but I like it a lot.

What’s good around the web is a weekly series where I share some of what I’ve been reading around the web. Each week I post links to five nutrition related articles, good recipes, and just general good reads. I hope you enjoy it! If you’ve got at article or recipe you’d like to see featured, please email me.

MM_Web_Icon_FINAL

1. Have you heard the news? Fruit and veg consumption can save your life! And 7 is the new 5. Eat your veg!

2. Why keeping weight off, not losing it, is the real success story.

3. Another win for nuts: almonds, and their skins, show prebiotic potential.

4. The top 5 things you should know about the new nutrition labels.

5. Fad diets work. But not why you think.

And, and oldie but a goodie from The Muffin Myth archives. I whipped up a batch of these apple butter oat bars this afternoon after a freezer clean out (cooked old apple sauce down to apple butter). Still as good now as it was then!

All text and photos © The Muffin Myth 2014

Comments

You already know that I am pleased about last week’s UCL study, but as always great to see new-to-me-links. I really enjoyed reading the one about keeping weight off (Vogue link) – common sense but reassuringly ‘normal’ in tone. Have a great week, Katie

I liked the tone of that piece as well. I try really hard to post positive things and stay away from anything that could be regarded as ‘fat shaming’ and I think that article achieved a really good balance.

Having done weight watchers twice in my life, loosing weight was definitely the easy part. I agree that keeping the weight off is the real success because I struggle with that almost every day. Loved reading that article.

Yay for almonds….and those apple butter oat bars are going to be made TODAY. I have some peach butter that needs to be used :)

I thought that article was really well written, and I agree – I’ve done the WW thing as well, and definitely maintenance is the real work. I hope you like the oat bars. I bet they’d be smashing with peach butter!

I like that piece on fad diets. It was a great way to say that meat is good if the animals are raised on plants (and not other ground up animals, ew). I don’t really follow any particular diet, but have tried vegan and grain-free, neither of which worked for me!

I know what you mean. I think it was a sensible look at why people find some fad diets successful, and I’m totally with you, I can’t do vegan or grain free either. Generally I eat lacto-ovo vegetarian with a good mix of healthy intact grains and the occasional treat. It works for me.