what’s good around the web!

rome colosseum // the muffin myth

One of the snapshots from my weekend in Rome last weekend. What a glorious sight! It was a great weekend with amazing food. Did you follow along on instagram?

What’s good around the web is a weekly series where I share some of what I’ve been reading around the web. Each week I post links to five nutrition related articles, good recipes, and just general good reads. I hope you enjoy it! If you’ve got at article or recipe you’d like to see featured, please email me.

MM_Web_Icon_FINAL

1. Weight gain at menopause. Is it inevitable?

2. Costco is set to dump $2.6 million worth of peanut butter into a New Mexico landfill. WTF?!

3. Butter is back!!!

4. Sodabriety. The secret to cutting sugary drink use by teens found in study.

5. Can you afford a healthy diet?

Also, how good does this whole grain cinnamon swirl bread look?

All text and photos © The Muffin Myth 2014

Comments

Another great post! Great reading the piece on butter, my mum and aunts have been going on about the health benefits of ghee for ages and I’m sure they will be happy to see the butter piece too. And that healthier cinnamon swirl bread looks incredibly tempting, think my toddler would enjoy that too! Xx

Wow…great links! And yes, ewww to costco.

That bread is going to be made at some point. My boys love a brand of processed cinnamon swirl bread from the store and I refuse to buy it.

Love the shots from Rome.

Doesn’t that bread look amazing! I used to love cinnamon raisin bread, and it’s been far too long since I’ve had any. I need to find a lazy weekend where I can devote some time to bread baking!

WHAT?! I don’t even understand the Costco logic. Are they worried about more salmonella outbreaks if people eat that peanut butter? That is SO INCREDIBLY WASTEFUL–the Asian in me is screaming.

Also, I couldn’t access the menopause article–so what’s the consensus? Is it inevitable?!

Also hmph–can you “afford” a healthy diet?? I suppose it’s hard to beat eating, say, a rock-bottom-priced fast food burger for every meal, but lentils, beans, rice, fruits and veggies are so cheap! Yes, maybe an organic, healthy diet would cost significantly more than an unhealthy diet, but I feel like there are so many ways to stack up healthy vs. unhealthy diets that I find it hard to swallow that study’s findings that a healthy diet is $1.50 or whatever more expensive than unhealthy ones. They seemed to be touting that as an insignificant difference in price, but that $1.50 a day would make a difference to a lot of people! Okay maybe I’m getting worked up for nothing. If the point is to encourage people to eat a healthy diet, I’m all for that.

And that cinnamon swirl bread–GUH. I want in.

Seriously, the costco article makes me so mad. It’s effing ridiculous that they’re sending perfectly good peanut butter into a landfill because they don’t like the way the oil separates from the peanut butter – it had nothing to do about food safety. That they wouldn’t donate it to a charity, prison, or relabel it is absolutely outrageous.

The ‘can you afford to eat healthy’ equation is not as simple as it seems. For those of us who live in urban centres and have easy access to grocery stores where demand equalizes prices and there is ready access to things like rice, beans, and veg, it is easy. But in food deserts and other areas were access is a problem the situation is very different. Also, I remember being in London a couple of years ago when my sister was throwing a party and went to this store called Icebreakers where they sell all frozen stuff. She was stocking up on ‘beige’ food for the party (frozen springrolls, samosas, that kind of thing) and it was actually disturbing how cheap some of the frozen meals were. Definitely cheaper than fresh veg (which isn’t expensive in London), and if you’re on a tight budget and trying to feed a family, I think you’ve got tough decisions to make. The point is definitely to encourage healthy eating, so I hope the article wasn’t too off putting!

4. Tessa says

Personally, I have always thought they should market chicken skins to those of us who are inclined to eat them. Package them in a colorful box in the freezer section. I’d know just how to prepare them. One common theme in nutrition, a bit of everything in moderation. But butter is back. How good is that.