what’s good around the web!

statue

We’ve had such beautiful weather lately (although there is snow in the forecast for the coming week). People have clearly been outside enjoying themselves. I love the shower cap addition to this statue near our apartment.

What’s good around the web is a weekly series where I share some of what I’ve been reading around the web. Each week I post links to five nutrition related articles, good recipes, and just general good reads. I hope you enjoy it! If you’ve got at article or recipe you’d like to see featured, please email me.

MM_Web_Icon_FINAL

1. A promising new study found that vitamin E may halt Alzheimer’s disease.

2. A hard look at the relationship between antibiotics and obesity.

3. How pesticides harm the young brain.

4. Some not so sweet facts about the sugar in our food.

5. Check out Brazil’s new dietary guidelines: Cook and eat whole foods, be wary of ads. Smart stuff.

Also: homemade coconut milk!

All text and photos © The Muffin Myth 2014

Comments

1. Tessa says

There is as much, if not more information (and quite possibly some misinformation) in the comments following the sugar article. What if we cut back time on our electronic gadgets, or the line up at Tim Horton’s, and spent a bit more time planning and preparing meals. I hadn’t thought of it that way.
    I like that MM recipes are generally easy to prepare – and satisfying!

Those are all really good points! I don’t often have the patience for the comments section but perhaps I should start paying attention. Thanks for drawing my attention to this article – you were the first of several who sent it!

Your articles are thorough and terrifying – Mum and I have to grow more food around the year!!! We are getting our veggie gardens going now!! The chemical study was crazy

I especially enjoyed reading about making coconut milk Katie. When I was on holiday in Kerala a few years ago they made it during a cookery class I went to and it’s so super easy and fresh! Bit messy though, but worth it, xx

What a great list! I must try that homemade coconut milk. I often resort to buying the canned variety and always end up with some type of stomach discomfort because of the ever-present guar gum. It’s time to start making my own and that recipe looks easy enough. :-)

I know what you mean, it looks so easy and delicious! I just have to get the right kind of coconut flakes in my cupboard (all I’ve got is the desiccated kind right now).