Honey Dijon Broccoli Salad

Honey Dijon Broccoli Salad // The Muffin Myth

I just finished an exercise, in the name of science, where I was required to weigh everything I ate or drank (except for water) for three days. Let me tell you, this is an experience I do not care to repeat. Not only is it incredibly annoying to have to lug a digital scale everywhere you go in case you eat or drink something, but it failed to give an accurate representation of my real diet because I adjusted to eating things that were easier to measure. I couldn’t weigh the exact amount of banana in a no sugar banana branner, for examples, so instead of a bran muffin I ate oatmeal for breakfast. The leftover chickpea curry in the fridge was impossible to measure, so instead I ate wheat berries, lentils, and grated vegetables, each weighed individually on their way into the bowl. A drizzle of olive oil over the top? Weighed that. A glass of red wine with dinner? Weighed that. A couple of squares of dark chocolate in the evening? That would be 20 grams.

Back at glorious non-weighed eating, I’m left digesting a few things. First, this exercise has made me question the validity of every nutritional study using this technique for dietary assessment. Second, it made me think about vegetable consumption.

Honey Dijon Broccoli Salad // The Muffin Myth

Canadian and American recommendations for fruit and vegetable consumption around 4-5 cups a day for an adult. Swedish recommendations is 500g per day for fruit and vegetables. I like grams better than cups because a cup of spinach is going to weigh a lot less than a cup of broccoli, but most people don’t carry around scales, so visual measurements may be more reliable for the average eater.

I eat a vegetable-heavy diet, so I expected that my fruit and vegetable consumption would be waaaaaaay over the daily recommendations. And it was over, but not by as much as I thought it would be: my three-day average for fruits and vegetables was about 700g per day.

Getting more fruit and vegetables into your diet is never a bad thing, and this Honey Dijon Broccoli salad is a great way to do it. Broccoli florets are steamed, just barely, and then tossed with julienned broccoli stems, crisp apple, toasted almonds, and a spicy honey-Dijon dressing.  I think you’ll like it.

Honey Dijon Broccoli Salad // The Muffin Myth

One year ago: Spicy Squash and Lentil Salad

Honey Dijon Broccoli Salad Recipe:

I love this salad because it uses every bit of broccoli. The florets are steamed just enough to take away the raw bite, and then tossed with the stem, which is either julienned (I used the fine shredder on my mandoline) or finely chopped.

Recipe adapted, just barely, from The Sprouted Kitchen Cookbook

2 bunches broccoli with stems (about 500g total)
1/2 cup toasted almonds, chopped
1 apple, cored and diced
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
3 Tbsp Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp honey
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
salt and pepper

Cut the stems from the broccoli and set aside. Put a couple of inches of water at the bottom of a large pot with steamer basket or mesh strainer inside. Once the water is boiling, add the broccoli florets, cover, and steam for one minute. You just want to take the raw edge off. Drain and let cool. Either shred, julienne, or finely dice the broccoli stems.

In a large bowl whisk together the mustard, honey, olive oil, and vinegar. Add everything else into the bowl and toss well. Taste, and then season with salt and pepper. Serve cold.

MM_Know_Icon_FINAL

Broccoli is good for you, right? It is a great source of vitamin C, dietary fiber, and high broccoli consumption is thought to be beneficial in the prevention of heart disease and some cancers.

Comments

Funny, I just wrote about getting more fruit and veg into your diet! Your salad seems like just the trick I have to say. Broccoli is one of my favourite vegetables – in fact I love all the ingredients!

Great minds think alike! I’ll check out your post right away. Broccoli is definitely my favourite vegetable, and the crunchy sweet apple and almonds are an awesome combo with the spicy dressing. I hope you try it!

I think my head would explode were I to have to weigh every single thing I eat. That sounds like way too much work! :) But this salad certainly sounds delicious. I love the idea of combining fresh broccoli with spicy mustard.

It was a pretty crazy three days, and really limited / changed what I could eat due to the weighing. The broccoli and the spicy dressing really do go well together, especially with the apples and nuts. Yum!

I am terrible at eyeballing portion sizes, so I weigh my food constantly. Not everything I eat, mind you, but I totally get how it can be a pain! Broccoli has always been one of my favorite veggies and this looks so much better than the broccoli salad made with mayo–I hate that one!

Yeah, I used to weigh things back in my weightwatchers days, and it was good for learning portion sizes / control. But this was EVERYTHING, and I’m really glad it’s over. The honey Dijon dressing is definitely much better than a goopy mayo salad! I hope you try it out.

What a pain in the backside! Almost everything I normally eat would be nearly impossible to do on your exercise, except my simple breakfasts. And I completely agree that grams are much easier to deal with than cups. Cups are okay-ish for baking measures (although you have to be consistent with levelling off, tapping the cup, packing brown sugar – argh!). But cups of broccoli, cups of spinach? That’s just silly. I feel I can say that as an ex-pat American living in the UK! One year of pain by Americans to get used to metric and then they would not only be happier more accurate cooks, but also be in tune with the rest of the world, who look on Americans and their fierce, almost religious, adherence to cup measures as really quite odd. Rant over, the salad sounds delicious and a great way to easily up vital veggies and fruit without any fuss.

A pain in the backside indeed it was. But I’m thankful for your carrot/date porridge recipe, as it was easier to weigh than a bran muffin so I subbed it in for my usual breakfast.

Love the rant! It’s true, grams are so much easier (don’t even get me started on ‘sticks’ of butter). In Sweden they use measuring cups but measure in dl rather than cups or ml, so I’m constantly doing conversions in my head.

Trackbacks