what’s good around the web!

This morning I used the words “only” and “-4C” in the same sentence. I think Paul used the words “-4C” and “warm” in the same sentence. Yesterday was beautiful cold. The moisture in the air froze into teeny ice crystals which were flying around making everything sparkly and gorgeous. I think because I grew up in a part of the world that doesn’t get real winters I still find this kind of cold, particularly on a beautiful sunny day, kind of romantic. I went for a walk during which the inside of my nose froze, but I couldn’t stop snapping pictures of all the beautiful frozen things. I particularly like what happens to the trees in that kind of cold.

What’s good around the web is a weekly series where I share some of what I’ve been reading around the web. Each week I’ll be posting links to five nutrition related articles, good recipes, and just general good reads. I hope you enjoy it! If you’ve got at article or recipe you’d like to see featured, please email me.

MM_Web_Icon_FINAL

1. Have you seen Coca Cola’s new ad on obesity? Leanne emailed this to me last week just shortly before my feed exploded with reactions to the video. Watch the video, and let me know what you think.

2. Speaking of which, I learned a new term for what Coke is up to: leanwashing. Check out the Leanwashing Index to learn more!

3. And another about Coca Cola… Did you know they make Vitaminwater? (Side note – I find Vitaminwater infuriating and will not buy it. Just another way to commodify a natural resource, AND it’s full of sugar.) Coca Cola is being sued for unwarranted health claims regarding Vitaminwater. And their defence? No reasonable consumer would actually think the stuff is healthy. WTF?!

4. I love quinoa but, after reading this article I’ll definitely be moderating my consumption of it.

5. This is interesting. Although children may be picky eaters, especially when it comes to vegetables, according to this study children rate meals higher when there are vegetables on the plate.

All text and photos © The Muffin Myth 2013

Comments

I’ve seen the coco-cola ad, and it makes me want to rage, in a healthy non-violent way. In their defense, it does raise awareness, but at the same time, they’re just pimping a bunch of their crappy, sugar filled, low calorie and chemical rich products. And they do it using a bunch of healthy fit looking individuals. I call shenanigans.

Shenanigans is right! I agree, it does raise awareness, but if they really cared about the issues in their ad they’d stop marketing sugary drinks to children, stop making the largest size the most economical, stop spending money to defeat soda taxes… and much more. And yeah, the ad is full of beautiful people drinking original coke. It is indeed infuriating.

As usual, a great selection of articles to chew over. I too love quinoa but the piece you highlight has given pause for thought, if only so Bolivians can afford it. But it sounds like a crop that grows very well in the native soil.Hopefully the government will help support the industry that not only feeds its country but is starting to feed the world too. At least there wasn’t a health warning about it :D And the piece on kids rating meals with veg more favourably than no veg – wow. Who’d have thought *that*?

I know, the quinoa thing is unsettling. I worry about that happening with other new and exotic health foods which come from far away and have sustained a native population for a long time. Things like golgi berries and acai and maca, but I think those are consumed on a much smaller scale than quinoa.

Katie – I get so much out of these posts – I’m always so glad you do them! I also won’t buy Vitaminwater – what a scam. I think it’s so unfortunate that there’s such big business in marketing something that is, all on its own, both neccesary for all of us and sufficient in its purest form.

Thanks Jess! I do enjoy hunting around for interesting articles to share :) Yeah, Vitaminwater is bogus. Take a precious natural resource, add sugar and colour to it, put it in a plastic bottle, mark it up by a billion percent? Gah. And their defence in that lawsuit is all kinds of ridiculous!